In the United States, the third Monday in January is a day we honor a King. He was a leader who fought tirelessly for equality, peace, and “a dream”. He inspired humanity through ministry and social activism. He was the driving force behind landmark legislation such as the Civil Rights Act of 1964 and the Voting Rights Act of 1965.
Today we celebrate a man who encouraged the masses in the Montgomery Bus Boycott and the March on Washington. A beautiful life that was cut short by assassination on April 4, 1968 yet, serves as a reminder today and every day that “Everybody can be great, because anybody can serve. You don't have to have a college degree to serve. You don't have to make your subject and verb agree to serve. You only need a heart full of grace. A soul generated by love.”
Today we celebrate the life of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. He made lives better by reminding us to seek greatness through service and love. Today, 48 years after his death his words still resonate. Take a look at these 5 quotes from Dr. King that still make us believe in his dream!
- "If you can't fly then run, if you can't run then walk, if you can't walk then crawl, but whatever you do you have to keep moving forward."
- “No person has the right to rain on your dreams."
- “If I cannot do great things, I can do small things in a great way”
- “No work is insignificant. All labor that uplifts humanity has dignity and importance and should be undertaken with painstaking excellence.”
- “Let us not wallow in the valley of despair, I say to you today, my friends.
And so even though we face the difficulties of today and tomorrow, I still have a dream. It is a dream deeply rooted in the American dream.
I have a dream that one day this nation will rise up and live out the true meaning of its creed: "We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal."
Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. was a great man fueled by service and love. He truly made lives better, which is something that MAU strives to do every day. Click the link below to learn more about how you can partner with MAU to continue Dr. King’s work to seek greatness through service and love.